Who has the most beautiful natural garden?
The Gemeindeverwaltungsverband Donaueschingen-Hüfingen-Bräunlingen has announced a competition on natural gardens in 2010. Wanted are gardens in which you don’t prune the nature with lawn mowers and hedge clippers but rather in which the private recreational space , flowerbeds, vegetable patches and all sorts of small biotopes form an harmonic unit. In June a commission of experts and local councillors is going to examine and rate the gardens of the participating people. The main winners receive purchasing coupons for self-marketing undertakings worth 500, 300 and 200€, the other participants receive an appreciational price worth 30€. A list of shops which redeem the coupons is deposited on the homepage of the competition.
In order to give hints fort he participants, it is going to be portrayed on what matters and how you can give your natural garden the final touches in a series of press articles. In addition a new brochure informs about the topic of natural gardens, which is available from April in the townhalls.
Application forms are available on our homepage, the townhalls of Donaueschingen, Hüfingen, Bräunlingen and as well in the environmental office (Karlstraße 49, Donaueschingen) Aim of the natural garden is to offer an habitat for a number of local animals that is as large as possible.
By a subtle composition it is possible to create worthy habitats even with a restricted area. Sometimes small changes are enough to create a home for singing birds, amphibians and butterflies.
With the help of the following questions you’ve got to think about the ecological worth your garden has up till now and where the starting points for a more natural design are:
- Gardens which offer an diversified surface structure are not only optically appealing. It can develop from dry walls to the humid biotope various small biotopes. We shall give the nature the chance to develop itself. “Live and let live.“ is the motto for natural gardeners.Eventually we don’t need to cut back our needs: The breakfast corner or the playing surface for the children can be integrated offhand and vegetable patches have their justification, too.
- Is there at least a part of the lawn that is spared from the mower in order to let wild flowers like crane’s bill or marguerite grow? They are not only an eye catcher but also an important food source for various animal species.
- How is it about local groves? Typical plants on the Baar, like wayfaring tree or buckthorn are more asked by birds than rhododendron, biota and blue spruce.
- Where could you renaturate sealed surfaces (e.g. paths, car pounds ort he roof of a garage) in order to let the rain water trickle away? A cistern is easily installed to the down-pipes of the gutter. So you can save drinking water.
- What about the turf? Pure turf is low-nutrient and acidifies the ground. Fertilizing turf conatins artificial fertilizer. By the abandonment of turf worthy moor landscapes are protected. Why don’t you use compost or bark mulch fort soil improvement? A garden dump saves the brown bin.
- Some pests are destructed by that, too. Is the usage of the chemical bat prevented beause of this? Preferably planting with the regard of the location, using biological pesticides (sewages and extracts) and accepting a few more lices, than shooting with cannons on sparrows.
- Does the garden offer accommodation to more animals than titmices, e.g. hedgehogs, insects or bats.
- Is the fence just there as an boundary marking or could you plant an hedge instead? Does a possibility for the hedgehog exist which allows him to reach the neighbouring plot unopposed?
- Are twiners allowed to grow upwards on the exterior wall? An intact brick work is not damaged by that.
Gardens which offer an diversified surface structure are not only optically appealing. It can develop from dry walls to the humid biotope various small biotopes. We shall give the nature the chance to develop itself. “Live and let live.“ is the motto for natural gardeners.
Eventually we don’t need to cut back our needs: The breakfast corner or the playing surface for the children can be integrated offhand and vegetable patches have their justification, too.